Costa Rica Nature and Adventure tours

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

First time on a canopy zip line tour?

Costa Rica Canopy Tours, Zip lining, Horseback riding and Hiking

My first time on a canopy zip line tour across the tree tops was in Costa Rica. When they strapped me into the harness I grabbed the attendant's shirt and pulled him close with a fierce grip, "I cannot go I have to go the bathroom," I shouted. To his credit, he stayed very calm and said, "that is just the fear lady, once you take off it will go away." I took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself. I was determined not to let my fear of heights spoil my high wire adventure. I did try to change my mind again right at the starting platform, but the guide reassured me that once I took off I would not worry about heights. Then he gave me a bit of advice on how to position my hands and a big shove and I was underway.
Zip line tours are composed of steel cables that are strung at various heights between platforms built into the strongest trees. You go from platform to platform zipping over remote natural areas. From the first to the second platform was a short distance. I was able to zip over easily. This helped me get my confidence up. The next platform seemed half a mile away. The starting attendant was right, I did not worry about how high up I was. The only thing I could focus on was getting to the other side. I surely did not want to be the one that got stuck in the middle and they had to send in someone to rescue me. Survival and finishing were the only things on my mind.
By the time I was heading for the fourth platform, I had really gotten the hang of things. I started to look down more and to really enjoy the ride. I did not see much from up there but the tops of thousands of trees. But I loved speeding over them. The adrenaline rush was intense.
Zip lines tours above the canopy are one of the most popular excursions in Costa Rica. More than a quarter of the country is covered in rainforests. Taking a canopy zip line tour is a fantastic way to get a bird's eye view of the rainforest.
Most of Costa Rica's national parks have canopy operators. Many of these operators have an office in the capital city of San Jose. I signed up for the tour with the concierge at my resort. I advise you to visit the Canopy tours in Turu Ba Ri Park, the superman zip line is unique
This is one of the most adventuresome things I have under done. I was so proud of myself for not giving into my fear. The rewards were a great time, the thrill of victory and a big hug and kiss from my boyfriend who had finished quicker and was waiting for me at the finish line